Monday, August 15, 2011

Creating a New Piece

I decided to create another necklace with Autumn colors. I have such wonderful beads and they are calling me to use them! I'm going to walk through the creation of a necklace step by step. Since this is going to be an Autumn themed necklace I decided to use a chocolate color chain. The first step was to decide how ling I wanted the necklace to be. I have decided to use chain draping, so I want the main part of the necklace to be relatively short. Almost a choker length, but nor quite that short, I decided on 17 inches in length. I added a chocolate clasp and connector ring to close the necklace. Since I want to attach draping chains, I measured out the distance that I wanted the chains to be from each other. I put the main connector directly opposite from the clasp. I then decided on adding two more connectors on each side of the clasp....after measuring the length, 3 inches apart was the correct length.




When you are done connecting your rings to the chain you should have 5 rings at three inches apart. Now the next step is to get the beads ready to be connected to the chain connectors. I decided to use some burgundy colored beads. I used five headpins, on four of them I used one 8mm bead and two 4mm beads; on the Fifth headpin I used one 10mm bead an 8mm bead and a 6mm bead. I made a loop to connect the headpins to my connector links.





I connected the headpin with the 10mm bead on the connector directly across from my clasp. The remaining headpins were connected to the connectors surrounding those beads.
Now you have all the beads connected to your chain, it is now time to start adding the draping chains. I measured out a good length of chain that would connect to the first two connectors surrounding the main bead piece, while leaving enough room for the main bead to hang within the loop.



Once this step was complete, I measured out four more chain lengths that were equal to be the draping cross chains. Two of the chains would connect from the last two connectors to the main bead and the other two chains would connect from the first two connectors to the clasp.


Here is the finished product!




No comments:

Post a Comment